Aims and Scopes
The next edition of the international congress TIDALITES 2020 will be held in Matera (Basilicata) from August 31st to September 2nd 2020. It is a recurrent event from about thirty years, which is repeated approximately every four years in various locations around the world. Based on the two last editions, held in Caen, France (2012) and Puerto Madrin, Argentina (2015), the expected number of participants is around 150-200, from all over the world.
TIDALITES 2020 aims at providing a joint venture between academic and non-academic researchers focusing their investigations both in modern and ancient environments with people working on the development technical-industrial strategies for energy production worldwide in the field of Tidal Sedimentology.
The meeting wants to actively involve companies operating in the E&P of conventional non-renewable resources, as well as enterprises searching for new procedures of energy production, especially those with interest in tidal power.
The conference will take place in the S. Gervasio Auditorium in Matera and will host both oral and poster presentations, as well as a round table among reference persons of the scientific community and the industrial compartment. 2-3-days-long excursions will precede and follow the conference. They will guide participants in visiting modern tidal environments along the coasts of Italy and tidalite-bearing successions exposed in outcrop areas.
Tidalites 2020 will take place from August 28th to September 5th<. This period includes both conference days and excursions. In particular, the conference will take place from August 31st (Monday) to September 2nd (Wednesday). These three days will be preceded and followed by field trips (see the proposed list below). The pre-congress excursions will take place from August 28th to 30th; the post-congress ones, from September 3rd to 5th. This timetable avoids overlaps with other international conferences, and allows colleagues with academic commitments to attend.
The location will be Matera. It is reachable from the closest airport (Bari) in ca. 30 min by car. Bus or van services for participants should be provided too.
The Auditorium S. Gervasio is really nice and located right in the centre of Matera, close to the main hotels and the Sassi (perfect for accompanying persons). The Auditorium main room conference hosts comfortably more than 300 people.
Matera offers a number of hotels with a variety of costs (depending on the distance from the centre). However, the season is highly touristic; therefore, reservation in advance will be recommended.
Field trips will be 2-3-days long, including the transfer to, and from Matera. They are the followings
August 28-30: pre-congress field trips
- Siderno Basin (Calabria) – From marginal to axial tidal-strait facies in the lower Pleistocene Siderno tidal Strait (leaders: S.G. Longhitano, D. Chiarella, M. Tropeano, V. Rossi, D. Mellere);
- Venice Lagoon – Modern tidal dynamics of the Venice Lagoon (leaders: M. Ghinassi, A. D’Alpaos, et al.);
- Northern Sardinia-southern Corsica – The Bonifacio Strait: modern and ancient tidal dynamics (leaders: M. Brandano, J-Y. Reynaud, et al.).
September 3-to-5: post-congress field trips
- Messina Strait (Calabria) – The Messina Strait: past and present of a tide-dominated marine passageway (leaders: S.G. Longhitano, D. Chiarella, M. Gugliotta, P. Barrier);
- Tidal geomorphology and sedimentology of the northern Adriatic coastal zone: impact of the anthropogenic activity on modern tide-influenced environments (leaders: Giorgio Fontolan, et al.);
- The sedimentary response of mixed (siliciclastic-bioclastic) shallow-marine systems to tides and waves in the Quaternary of southern Italy (Basilicata) (leaders: D. Chiarella, M. Tropeano, L. Sabato, S.G. Longhitano).
Notes: The Siderno and Messina outcrops are ca. 4 h driving from Matera. In Calabria, the Lamezia Terme Airport benefits of a number of domestic and international flights from where participants could arrange their round-trip flights. The Venice airport is well linked with the Bari Airport and with other international airports, as well as the Cote d’Azur Airport in Sardinia.
Questo è un sottotitolo per invitare l'utente all'azione
- Sergio G. Longhitano (University of Basilicata, Italy)
- Domenico Chiarella (Royal Holloway University, London, UK)
- Valentina Rossi (University of Bergen, Norway)
- Marco Brandano (University of Roma La Sapienza)
- Massimiliano Ghinassi and Andrea D’Alpaos (University of Padova)
- Giorgio Fontolan (University of Trieste)
- Marcello Gugliotta (Shimane University, Japan)
- Marcello Tropeano and Luisa Sabato (University of Bari)
- Vincenzo Pascucci (University of Sassari)
- Stefano Andreucci and Marco Pistis (University of Cagliari)
- Francesco Muto (University of Calabria)
- Pascal Barrier and Jean-Yves Reynaud (University of Lille Nord de France)
- Roberto A. Scasso (University of Buenos Aires-CONICET)
- Gerardo Perillo (Institute of Oceanography, Buenos Aires)
- Ron Steel (Jackson School of Geosicences, Texas, USA)
- Poppe de Boer (University of Utrecht, Netherlands)
- Robert W. Dalrymple (University of Queens, Canada)
- Bernadette Tessier (Univeristy of Normandy, Caen, France)
- Massimiliano Ghinassi (University of Padova, Italy)
- Giorgio Fontolan (University of Trieste, Italy)
- Albina Colella (University of Basilicata, Italy)
- Shahin Dashtgard (Simon Fraser University, Canada)
- Andrea Cucco (Institute of Oceanography, IAMC-CNR, Oristano, Italy)
- Neil Mitchell (The University of Manchester)
- Yoshiki Saito (University of Chiba, Japan)
- Jesper Bartholdy (University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Bughard Flemming (University of Bremen, Germany)
- Allen Archer (Kansdas State University, USA)
“Una bella frase del prof. Longhitano”
Sponsors and portfolio
TIDALITES 2020 has already the sponsorship by UNIBAS (University of Basilicata) and the Department of Sciences (DIS), S.G.I. (Italian Geological Society) and Geosed (Italian Association of Sedimentary Geology). The request for endorsement and student grants from IAS and SEPM is in progress. The financial support of companies with potential interest in participating to the event will be asked. All the financial operations (i.e., fees, expenses, post-congress report to be published in the meeting web page. etc.) will be managed by the GeoSed Secretary and Treasurer.
Titolo della sezione
Questo è un sottotitolo per invitare l'utente all'azione